Friday, August 27, 2021

Psalms 31:1

 Psalms 31:1 says, To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The introduction, then verse one says, In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.  David said he put his trust in the LORD and asked that he never be ashamed of that fact and asked God to deliver him by God's righteous, not David's.  As Christians, we are delivered by God's righteous, so we need to put our trust in Him and never be ashamed of the fact that we do.  Verse two adds, Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.  David asked God to listen to his prayers and to be his defence in the world, bringing him a quick delivery from his enemies.  We know that God always hears His people when they pray, and when we put our faith in Jesus Christ spirituallly we have immediate and everlasting delivery from all our enemies.  Verse three continues, For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.  David proclaimed God to be his rock and fortress and asked God to lead and guide him for God's sake.   As followers of Christ, God is our rock and fortress, so we should pray for His continual leadership and guidance, and we should then follow Him for His name’s sake, or glory.  Verse four states, Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.  David asked God to deliver him from the snares, or nets, that his enemies had secretly laid for him, because God was his strength.  No matter how many snares the world may set for us today as Christians, as long as we put our faith in God, He will always deliver us, even from those secret snares we may not see.  Verse five declares, Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.  Like David, as Christians we must commit our spirits to God, because He alone can redeem us, since He is the God of truth.  We cannot sometimes believe the truth of God and other times question it if we are to be saved.  Verse six adds, I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.  David said he had hated those who spoke vain lies and had put his trust in the LORD.  We are not to hate those who speak lies today, but we are to hate the lies that they tell, and we are always to put our faith in the truth of God as followers of Christ.  Verse seven continues, I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;  David said he would be glad and rejoice in God's mercy, because God had considered him in his troubles and adversities.  David did not say that God had always kept him from trouble and adversity.   We need to rejoice in the Lord, not because He will keep us from trouble and adversity, but because He will always be with us and lead us through them by His power.  Verse eight concludes, And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.  David said God had not shut him up in the hand of his enemy, but had set his feet in a large room.  God will never leave Christians in the hand of their enemies spiritually.  Verse nine asks, Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.  David asked God to have mercy on him in his time of trouble, when he was filled with grief.  As followers of Christ, if we find ourselves in times of trouble and grief, we need to pray to God for His deliverance from the situation, and as long as we continue to pull our faith in Him, we can be certain of His everlasting delivery.  Verse ten adds, For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.  David said his years were filled with grief and his strength failed because of his iniquity.  If our lives seem to be filled with grief and our strength failing as followers of Christ, we need to see if we have allowed sin back into our life.  Verse eleven declares, I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me.  David said he had become a reproach not only to his enemies but also to his acquaintances.  David had seemingly fallen out from under God's protection, and his enemies were all around him, so even his acquaintances were afraid to be around him.  Even if we are following God's leadership, at times it may seem that everyone has turned away from us, even our friends.  Verse twelve adds, I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.  David said he was forgotten as a dead man and that he was a broken vessel.  We may think of David as a mighty king, but he was often in trouble in the world, so why should we think that we should be any different?  Verse thirteen concludes. For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life. David said the people all around him slandered him and plotted against him seeking to kill him.  If we feel that the world is against us as Christians, we will not be the first to feel that way, and we must never forget that God is with us no matter what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment