Monday, August 23, 2021

Psalms 27:1

Psalms 27:1 says, A Psalm of David. After the introduction as a psalm of David, verse one says, The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?  David said that since God was his light, salvation, and strength, he asked whom should he be afraid of.  If we put our faith in  God, like David, we should be afraid of no one.  Verse two adds, When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.  David said when his enemies came upon him to destroy him, that God caused them to fall.  Even if our enemies defeat us in this world, God has already caused them to fall in the everlasting perspective.  Verse three continues,  Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.  David said that no matter how large the force against him might be, that he would still be confident in the LORD.  This should be our belief today as well as followers of Christ.  Verse four states, One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.  David said that the one thing that he had desired and sought after was to dwell in God's house all his days, to behold the beauty of God and to seek God's will there.  We should also want to live in God's presence and seek His will in our lives as Christians.  Verse five adds, For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.  David said that God would hide him in His security in times of trouble.  God will always keep His people securely in His strength in times of trouble.  Verse six declares, And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.  David said that since God had lifted him up above his enemies that he would offer sacrifices in God's temple and sing praises to Him.  David gave God the credit for his success in life, even when at war, and so should we.  Verse seven adds, Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.  David asked God to hear him and have mercy on him.  If we are to be successful life today, we must first ask God to hear us and have mercy on us.  We cannot demand that God hear us, but if we call out to Him sincerely seeking His mercy through faith in Jesus Christ, He always will hear us.  Verse eight says, When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.  David said that when God told him to seek Him, he obeyed.  God tells everyone to seek Him first today, and our relationship to Him depends on whether we do or not.  Verse nine adds, Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.  David asked God, Whom he called the God of his salvation, to not forsake him.  As Christians, who have salvation through Christ, we can be certain that God will never forsake us.  We have everlasting security through our relationship with God when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.  Verse ten states, When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.  David said that even if his father and mother forsook him, he would still put his faith in the LORD.   Even if all the world were to forsake us, even our closest relatives, we must still continue to put our faith in God.  Verse eleven adds, Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.  Like David, we need to ask God to lead us in the plain path of righteousness, because we like David have enemies all around us.  Verse twelve continues, Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.  David asked God to keep him safe from the false witnesses that had risen up against him.  We need to ask the same of God today.  Verse thirteen says, I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  David said that if it weren't for his faith in God that he would have fainted.  We must never allow our faith in God to falter.  As followers of Christ, God secures us by His power and goodness.  Verse fourteen adds, Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.  Like David, we simply need to wait on the LORD, both in times of trouble and in times of prosperity.  We need to give God the glory no matter what happens in our life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment