Monday, August 16, 2021

Psalms 22:11

Psalms 22:11 says, Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help. David asked God to be close to Him, because trouble was near him.  We need to always be close to God and ask Him to always be close to us, because trouble is always near and God is the only One we can rely on to always help us.  Verse twelve adds, Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.  David said he had many very strong enemies around him.  If we feel that the evil of the world has surrounded us today, we are not the first people to feel so.  Verse thirteen continues, They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.  David felt that everyone was speaking against him, and it may seem that most people in the world today speak out against Christians, but we need never be afraid, because God is with us.  Verse fourteen states, I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.  David, the mighty warrior that he was, said he felt as weak as water.  Still, it was not his strength that he was to rely on, but God's strength.  When we feel our weakest, that is when we especially need to look to God for strength.  Verse fifteen adds, My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.  David continues to speak about how weak and helpless he felt.  If we feel weak and helpless today, we need to focus on God and not our situation.  Verse sixteen continues, For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.  This is once more a reference to Jesus Christ,  Who had His hands and feet pierced on the cross.  Matthew Henry says the first twenty-one verses are a reference to Christ, but I believe most of the verses refer to how David was feeling at the time as well.  Verse seventeen says, I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.  Again, we know that those that crucified Jesus looked on Him with contempt, so we should not be surprised if they do the same to us today if we are followers of Christ.  Verse eighteen declares, They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.  This is a definite prophesy about what happened to Jesus when He was crucified.  Verse nineteen adds, But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.   Whether this refers to Christ or David himself, it should also be our prayer.  We need God's help to be successful in our Christian walk, whether in times of trouble or times of prosperity.  Verse twenty continues, Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.  Verse twenty-one concludes, Save me from the lion’s mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.  David asked God to deliver his soul from the sword.  We can rest assured that through faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord that God has already delivered our soul from all adversity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment