Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Psalms 13:1

Psalms 13:1 says, To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.  Again, we have the instructions, then verse one asks, How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?  David felt that God had forgotten him, but God never will forget His people.   If we are feeling that God has forgotten us, we need to ask what makes us think so.  Simply because things are going badly in the world certainly does not mean that God has forgotten us.  God will never hide His face from His people.  Verse two adds, How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?  David was in sorrow because of his situation, and seemed to believe that God had forgotten him, leaving him to rely on his own counsel.  David said that his enemies were exalted over him, and wondered how long God would continue to allow this to happen.  We may feel that we have to rely on our own wisdom if we are surrounded by our enemies, but we need instead to simply continue to put our faith in God.  Verse three declares, Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;  David asked God to hear him and consider his situation before was killed.  Even if we sleep the sleep of death, as David said, as followers of Christ we are still secure in our everlasting life.  We need not allow the world to get us down.  Verse four continues, Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.  David said that if God did not hear and help him that his enemies might brag that they had prevailed against him.  The people of the world may stand ready to declare victory over Christians today, but God has already secured the final victory.  Verse five states, But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.  David may have been asking questions about God's protection, but he then said that He trusted in God's mercy and salvation.  We may at times wonder about what is going on in the world when evil seems to be winning, but we must always trust in God's mercy and salvation.  Once we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, nothing that happens in this lifetime can separate us from God and His mercy.  Verse six adds, I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.  After all his questions, David said he would sing praises to the LORD, because God had had dealt bountifully with him.  When everything seems to be going wrong, we should simply sing praises to God, because He has been bountiful to us by providing us with everlasting salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment