Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Psalms 18:29

 Psalms 18:29 says, For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.  David said that God had empowered him to be victorious over great obstacles.  When we see the obstacles to following God today, we need to keep our focus on God and not the obstacles.  Verse thirty adds, As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.  David stated that God's ways were tried and true.  This will always will be true.  Verse thirty-one asks, For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?  David basically asked who else besides God was God.  Who else could they rely on to keep them strong.  There is no other God, and He alone can give us strength in the world today.  Verse thirty-two adds, It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.  David once again said that God, and not David himself, was the source of his strength and his goodness.  We cannot rely on our own strength and goodness and be successful Christians, but must always rely on God's strength and goodness.  Verse thirty-three continues, He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, and setteth me upon my high places.  David continues to state that God is the One Who lifts him up to the high places.  Verse thirty-four declares, He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.  The world may have seen David as a great warrior, but he said God was the One Who empowered him.  We should always give God the credit for our strength today.  Verse thirty-five adds, Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.  David said God gave him the shield of salvation and held him up with strength and gentleness.  If we have salvation today, it can only come from God, and when we claim salvation through Jesus Christ, He will hold us up with both strength and gentleness.  Verse thirty-six says, Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.  Verse thirty-seven add, I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.  Once more, David gives God credit for his success against his enemies.  If we as followers of Christ are to be successful against our enemies today, we must look to God for strength and give Him credit for our success.  Verse thirty-eight states, I have wounded them that they were not able to rise: they are fallen under my feet.  Verse thirty-nine adds, For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.  David said God gave him strength and that God subdued his enemies.  What we as Christians need to realize today is that God has already subdued our enemies.  We have everlasting victory through our faith in Jesus Christ, no matter what happens in this lifetime.  Verse forty continues, Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me.  David was still just giving God credit for his success.  God has already destroyed our enemies which we will see when He comes in judgment, and He will give us the strength to not be overcome by them today as long as we remain faithful to Him.  Verse forty-one states, They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.  David said that there was no one to save his enemies.  He also said that they cried to God and He didn't hear them.  We have to assume that they were not calling out to God in sincerity, because I believe that God will always hear those that sincerely call out to Him, for salvation first and then in obedience and praise afterward.  Verse forty-two adds, Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets.  David said he totally destroyed his enemies by the power of God, and so can we today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment