Sunday, August 15, 2021

Psalms 22:1

Psalms 22:1 says, To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.  As often is the case, we have the introduction, then verse one says, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?  David asked God why He had forsaken him, and we recognize these as the words of Christ on the cross as well.  Of course, though David was God's chosen leader for His people, he could not bring them salvation, and if he felt that God had deserted him, it was for a different reason than Jesus Christ did.  If we feel that God has deserted us today, it will never be because He has actually done so if we are followers of Christ.  Verse two adds, O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.  David said he called out to God day and night, but that God did not hear him.  Once more,we know that God will always hear His people when they call out to Him, but we may sometimes feel that He doesn't because we are calling out for our own reasons and not for God's will to be done in our life.  Verse three declares, But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.  David said that even if he felt God had forsaken him, that he still recognized the holiness of God.  We must never forget the holiness of God, even if we feel that He has somehow forgotten us.  Verse four adds, Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.  David said he knew that when the people of Israel put their faith in God in the past that He delivered them.  We have the Bible to attest to this, especially with Jesus Christ.  We also have the testimony of other Christians.  Verse five continues, They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.  David continues to speak of God's deliverance of the people of Israel in the past.  We have even more people that we can point to that God delivered when they called out to Him in faith.  Verse six states, But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.  David, though God's chosen king, said he was but a worm and despised by men. We today often don't like to think of ourselves as being so lowly, even changing the words of a hymn that said such a worm as I to sinners such a I.  Verse seven adds, All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, Verse eight continues, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.  David said people mocked him because of his situation and said that David had trusted in the LORD but that the LORD had not delivered him.  We cannot judge God's deliverance on earthly situations.  Verse nine declares, But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother’s breasts.  Verse ten adds, I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother’s belly.  David said God was with him while he was still in the womb.  We can never deny the fact that even those in the womb are God's creation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment