Friday, August 6, 2021

Psalms 16:1

Psalms 16:1 says, Michtam of David. After the introduction, verse one, Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.  David asked God to preserve Him, because he put his faith in God.  If we want God to preserve us, or keep us safe forever, we must first put our faith in Him.  Verse two adds, O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;  David said from the very depths of his soul that he declared the LORD to be his LORD.  We must accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and Lord for God to be our God.  No one else can do it for us.  David said his goodness was shown to the world because of his relationship with God, and so must ours be.  Verse three continues, But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.  This is just a continuation of David stating the his goodness was shown to his fellow believers.  We are to show our goodness, which comes from our relationship with God, to all the world, but especially to our fellow Christians.  Verse four declares, Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.  David said that those who chased after other gods and sacrificed to them would have their sorrows multiplied.  This has always been true, and even if it doesn't happen in this lifetime, it will when God's final judgment comes.  Verse five says, The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  David declared the LORD to be the one to give him his inheritance.  If we are to have everlasting life with God, it will not be because of our own goodness, but because of our inheritance of everlasting life through faith in Jesus Christ.  Verse six adds The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.  David said that God had given him a good Inheritance, and as followers of Christ, God has given us the good Inheritance of everlasting life.  Verse seven states, I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.  David said that he would bless God for all that He had done for him.  David said God's counsel guided him, and so must we be guides by God's counsel today and we must always give God the praise no matter what is happening in our life.  Verse eight adds, I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  David said he always put God first in his life, and because of his faith in God, he would not be moved.  If our faith in God remains strong, nothing in this world can move us away from Him.  Verse nine continues, Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.  David said that his relationship with God gave him hope and peace.  If we have put our faith in Jesus Christ, we should rest in hope in this world.  Verse ten declares, For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.  David said that because of His faith in God that he knew God would not leave him in hell.  David also said that he knew that God would not allow His Holy One, the coming Messiah, Jesus Christ, to suffer corruption.  Verse eleven adds, Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.  David said that God would show him the path of life in His presence.  We today as followers of Christ know that He will always direct us in the path of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment