Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Psalms 28:1

 Psalms 28:1 says, A Psalm of David. After the introduction, then verse one says, Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.  David asked God to not stop speaking to him so that he would not be like those who went down into the pit.  As Christians, we should not find it strange that God speaks to us, though it probably won't be with an audible voice, but we should be alarmed if He stops speaking to us.  Verse two adds, Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.  David then asked that God hear him when he prayed to Him in humbleness.  We can be certain as followers of Christ that God will always hear our prayers if we come to Him simply seeking His will.  Verse three continues, Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.  David asked that God not send him away with those who worked iniquity, claiming to come in peace with their neighbors but really having mischief in their hearts.  We will not be sent away with the wicked if we have truly accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, and if we have, we should never mistreat our neighbors.  Verse four states, Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.  David basically asked God to give the workers of iniquity what they deserved.  I really don't believe this should be our attitude, since we are all but sinners saved by grace.  God will take care of punishing those who refuse to accept His salvation plan in His own way and time.  We simply need to reach out to them with the gospel and pray for their salvation.  Verse five adds, Because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.  David said that God would destroy those who did not regard Him and would not build them up.  Those who deny God today will one day be destroyed, along with everything that they have gained in this world.  Verse six declares, Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.  David then said that He blessed the LORD because He had heard David's prayers.  When God hears our prayers today, we should give Him the glory, even if His answer to our prayers is no.  Verse seven adds, The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.  Like David, we need to acknowledge God as the source of our strength and know that He will shield us from the sins of the world.  For this, like David, we need to rejoice in our heart and sing praises to God.  Verse eight continues, The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.  David said God was the strength of those who put their faith in Him.  As those who have put our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, God is our strength as long as we seek His will in our lives.  Verse nine concludes, Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.  David asked God to provide for His people and to bless them and keep them safe forever.  We as followers of Christ are His forever, and He blesses us beyond measure, no matter what happens in this lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment