Sunday, August 8, 2021

Psalms 18:1

 Psalms 18:1 says, To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, who spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul:  This psalm has a long introduction.  We are told that it is a Psalm of David to God for delivering him from his enemies,  and especially from Saul.  Then, we are told what David said starting with verse one, which says, And he said, I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.  David professed his love for God.  As followers of Christ, we should never be ashamed to profess our love of God every chance we get to do so.  Verse two adds, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.  David said God was his rock and his fortress, two things that are difficult to get through, and if we are looking to God for protection, we will find His protection impossible to get past.  David said God was his God, which means that David had a personal relationship with God, and if God is to be our protector, so must we.  David then said God was the source of His strength and the One in whom he would trust.  If we are to rely on the strength of God, we must first put our complete trust in Him.  David called God his buckler, a small round shield worn on the wrist.  David was not looking for actual implements of war, but to God Who would provide even better protection.   We need to likewise look to God for our ultimate protection.  David also said that God was the horn of His salvation, the source from which salvation was poured out, and God is the only source of salvation which comes from putting our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.   Finally,  David said God was his high tower.  Towers were a place where people could look out and see what the enemy was doing, and God was the One Who was on the lookout for David,  and He still is for Christians today.  Verse three adds, I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.  David then said that He would call on the LORD, Who was worthy to be praised.  God is the only One Who is worthy to be praised, and we should never forget to give Him our praise.  David also said that God, and not David himself, saved him from all his enemies.  We must never rely on our own abilities to save us from the evil in the world today, but must always look to God for deliverance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment