Friday, October 29, 2021

Psalms 71:1

Psalms 71:1 says, In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.  As followers of Christ, we like David have put our faith in God, and we should never allow the world to lead us to confusion about what that means.  We are forever a part of the family of God because we have accepted the salvation of Christ.  Verse two adds, Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.  David asked that God deliver him by God's righteous, and not ny his own, and to allow Him to escape from his enemies.  David also asked God to hear him and save him.  As Christians, God has saved us from our sins by His righteousness and allows us to escape the punishment we deserve.  God will always hear us and has already saved us forever.  Verse three continues, Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.  David asked for God to be his strong habitation where he could always live, and as followers of Christ, God provides us with a strong fortress where we will dwell forever.  As David said, Christ is our rock and our fortress.  Verse four concludes, Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.  David asked that God, his God, deliver him from the hand of the wicked.  Though God is the only real God, for Him to save us from the sinful world, He must be our God, which is only possible by putting our faith in Jesus Christ.  Verse five states, For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.  David said that God was his hope and that he had trusted Him since his youth.  God is our only hope today, no matter what age we may be when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.  Verse six adds, By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.  David said that God had preserved his life from the time that he was in his mother's womb on.  I don't believe that we can truly believe in God and not believe that life begins at conception.  Verse seven says, I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge.  David said that many people questioned his faith in God when he suffered at times, but he still knew that God was his strong refuge or resting place.  If the world seems to be beating us down as Christians today, we need to always remember that we have a refuge, a resting place, with God, no matter how much the people of the world may question this.  Verse eight continues, Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.  Like David, as followers of Christ, our mouths should be continually filled with praises to God.  This means in the bad times as well as the good.  Verse nine states, Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.  David asked God to not cast him aside when he was old and his strength failed, and we can be certain as Christians that God will never do this to us.  We are forever His.  Verse ten adds, For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together,  David said that his enemies spoke against him and laid wait for his soul.  Like David, we may feel that the whole world is out to destroy us,but as long as we remain faithful to God it never will, even if we lose our life because of our faith.  Verse eleven adds, Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for there is none to deliver him.  David said that his enemies felt free to persecute him because they thought that God had forsaken Him.  No matter what the people of the world may think nor no matter how bad things may get in life, as followers of Christ, God will never forsake us.  Verse twelve continues,  O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help.  As Christians, as David asked, we can be certain that God is always near us,because the Holy Spirit indwells us.  Because of this, there is nothing in the world for us to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment