Saturday, October 9, 2021

Psalms 57:1

Psalms 57:1 says, To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave.  We have the introduction, which tells us that this was written when David was hiding from Saul in a cave, then verse one says, Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. Even though David was hiding from Saul, he asked God to be merciful to him because he still trusted in God to protect him.  No matter how badly things may be going today in our life, we as Christians should continue to put our faith in God keeping us safe forever.  Verse two adds, I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.  David said he would cry to God most high, Who was responsible for all of David's success.   As followers of Christ today, we must acknowledge that God is the One Who gives us all our success in life.  We need to cry out to Him in praise.  Verse three continues, He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.  David said God would send help from heaven to save him, from reproach and from those who would swallow him up, and that God would send forth His mercy and truth.  God sent Jesus from heaven to take away our sin and reproach before God, and Jesus Christ is God's mercy and truth to people.  Verse four states, My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.  David said he lived amongst people who would destroy him.  Sometimes, it may seem that as Christians the whole world is out to destroy us, but we need to simply remain faithful to God and keep sharing His message of salvation with the world, even those who might be out to destroy us.  Verse five adds, Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.  As David said then, even in the midst of all his troubles, we must live so that God will be exalted above everything else.  We should not just call on God to be exalted when things are going well in life, but at all times.  Verse six continues They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah.  Once more, David said it seemed that everyone was out to destroy him.  If it seems this way to us today, then we must continue to live by faith, because God has assured us of everlasting victory through our faith in Jesus Christ.  Verse seven declares, My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.  David said his heart was fixed on God and that he would give God the glory and praise.  Nothing today should keep us from giving God glory and praise.  This should never be contingent on our worldly situation.  Verse eight adds, Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.  David said that it was time for him to wake up and worship God.  When life seems to be falling in on us, as Christians we need to wake up and give God our praise and worship Him.  Verse nine continues, I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. David said he would praise God to the nations, and so must we today as followers of Christ.  Verse ten states, For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.  David said he would praise God because of the mercy and truth of God.  We should always praise God for His mercy and truth that is shown to us through Jesus Christ.  Verse eleven adds, Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.  David asked that God be exalted above the heavens and that His glory be above all the earth.  This is the case whether we acknowledge it or not.   

No comments:

Post a Comment