Saturday, October 16, 2021

Psalms 63:1

Psalms 63:1 says, A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.  In his introduction, David said this psalm was written while he was in the wilderness of Judah, then verse one says, O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;  Like David, as Christians, God is our God and we should seek Him early each day and all day long.  Our soul should thirst for the presence of God in our lives as we would for water in the desert.  Verse two adds, To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.  David said he also desired to see God's power and glory in the wilderness as he had in God's sanctuary.  We need to acknowledge God's glory wherever we are, and not just in the His sanctuary.  Verse three declares, Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. David said that God's lovingkindness was better than life and he would praise God because of it.  We as followers of Christ today should know that God's lovingkindness is more important than anything in this world, even our life itself.  Verse four adds, Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.  David said that he would bless, or praise, God for as long as he lived, and so must we.  We cannot just praise God in the good times, but must praise Him in the bad times as well.  Verse five continues, My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:  David was in the wilderness when he wrote this, but he said he would be satisfied as he would be in times of prosperity and would praise God with joyful lips.  Verse six states, When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  David said that he would remember God at night as well as during the day.  God and doing His will should be in our thoughts day and night.  Verse seven adds, Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.  David said that God had been his help in the past, so he would rest under the shadow of God's wing.  We as Christians should be able to look back to when God protected us in the past and know that we can rest in assurance of His protection today.  Verse eight says, My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.  We need to be like David said he was, and to follow hard after God, because it is His hand that upholds us.  Verse nine adds, But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.  David said that those who sought to destroy his soul would go down into the lower parts of the earth.  Those who do not believe in God and seek to destroy our soul, or our spiritual relationship with God, will one day be sent down into hell.  Verse nine continues, They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.  Whether those who are our enemies spiritually die by the sword, or are defeated in this lifetime or not, they will be one day.  Verse eleven concludes, But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.  David said everyone who put their faith in God would glory, but the mouth of those who didn't would be stopped.  It would be nice if this were true everyday, but it will only be true when Christ returns to call His people out of the wilderness of this world and to their heavenly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment