Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Psalms 40:1

 Psalms 40:1 says,To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. After the introduction, verse one says, I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  If we like David, as followers of Christ, wait patiently on God He will always hear our cry or prayer.  Verse two adds, He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.  David said God lifted him up out of the pit and miry clay and put his feet on solid ground.  As Christians, God has lifted us up out of the pit and miry ground of sin and put our feet on the solid rock of Jesus Christ.  Verse three continues, And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.  David said God had put a new song in his mouth, and many would see it and fear and put their trust in the LORD.  God gives us a new song of salvation, and we should share it with the world so that they might come to know and trust Him.  Verse four states, Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.  David tells us that those who put their trust in the LORD and turn aside from the lies of the world are blessed.  There are many lies presented as truth today that go against God's truth, and we as followers of Christ must always put our faith in God's truth, then we will be blessed by God.  Verse five adds, Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.  David said that God's wonderful works were too numerous to be numbered.  We will never be able to count the many wonderous works of God, which is why the only wonderous work we really have to understand is the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross for our sins.  Verse six continues, Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.  David said that burnt offerings and sin offerings were not what God required.  What God really requires is not ritual, but a personal relationship with Him.  The offerings were simply to show obedience to God.  Verse seven declares, Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,  David said he came to the LORD, and in the volume of the book, God's book of life I believe, it was written of him.  Our works will not get our name written in God's book of life, but only our faith in the salvation of Jesus Christ will.  Verse eight adds, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.  We, like David, need to follow God's will for our life and have His law written in our heart.  Verse nine adds, I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.  David said he had preached the righteousness of God to the great congregation.  We must proclaim the righteousness of Christ to the world around us today, especially the lost people of the world.  If we as followers of Christ do not share the gospel, it will not be shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment