Monday, January 31, 2022

Psalms 119:33

Psalms 119:33 says,  HE, After the identifying letter, verse one says, Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.  In order to keep God's statutes, we like David must first ask Him to teach them to us.  Many people read God's word without ever understanding it because they do not have a personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.  Verse thirty-four adds, Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.  David said that if God gave him an understanding of His law that he would keep it with all his heart.  As followers of Christ, God will give us an understanding of His law, then it is up to us to keep it with all our heart.  Verse thirty-five continues, Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.  Though God will not make us go in His path, we should feel compelled by our faith in Him to do so.  Verse thirty-six states, Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.  We like David should have our heart inclined toward God's law and not be filled with covetousness for the things of the world.  Verse thirty-seven adds, Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.  I believe this tells us that if we are coveting the things of this world, which are a vanity or nothing, then we are not completely obeying God.  Instead of looking at vain things for fulfillment, we should be looking for God to quicken us in His way.  Verse thirty-eight continues, Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.  We as Christians should be established in God's word so that we will know what His way is.  Verse thirty-nine says, Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good.  If we have accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, then we will not fear God's judgment but will realize that His judgment is good.  God will never falsely condemn anyone, so as Christians we have no need to fear His judgment.  Verse forty adds, Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness. As David said he did, we must long to understand and follow God's laws, because we are quickened, or made alive, by His righteousness, and not our own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment