Sunday, January 30, 2022

Psalms 119:25

Psalms 119:25 says, DALETH.  There is the alphabetic identifier, then verse one says, My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.  David said that his body still tends to be tempted by sin, which brings corruption to his soul, and he then asks God to quicken him, or bring him alive spiritually.  If we find ourselves tempted by worldly things, we need to ask God to strengthen us spiritually by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Verse twenty-six adds, I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.  David said he had told God of all his ways, and asked God to teach him God's statutes instead.  Matthew Henry says this implied a close relationship between David and God.  As followers of Christ, we must confess all our sins to God and ask Him to teach us His ways, since we should have a close personal relationship with Him.  Verse twenty-seven states, Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.  Like David, we need for God to help us understand His laws, so that we can tell the world of His wonderous works.  Verse twenty-eight adds, My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.  David then said his soul was weighted down and asked God to strengthen him according to God's word.  If we feel spiritually weighted down today, we need to ask God to strengthen us according to His word.  I believe we start this by studying the Bible, God's written word.  Verse twenty-nine says, Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.  David asked God to remove from him his lying ways and to replace them graciously with God's law.  God's truth must become our guiding principle in life as Christians, replacing the lies that we have lived by before.  Verse thirty adds, I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.  David said that he had chosen the way of God's truth, and so must we.  It will always be our choice, because God will never force us to follow His guidance.   Verse thirty-one states, I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.  David said that he had stuck to God's testimonies and asked God to not put him to shame.  As long as we follow God's guidance, God will never put us to shame spiritually.  Verse thirty-two adds, I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.  Like David, if we follow God's ways, He will enlarge our hearts spiritually.  

No comments:

Post a Comment