Thursday, January 13, 2022

Psalms 109:21

Psalms 109:21 says, But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name’s sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.  David asked God to do good to him and deliver him for God's name's sake because God's mercy was good.  As followers of Christ, we are not delivered because of our own goodness, but because of the mercy of God.  It is His name that we should praise.  Verse twenty-two adds, For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.  David may have been rich, at least at times, but he was poor and needy spiritually, as are we without Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord.  Verse twenty-three continues, I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust.  David, the great warrior king, said he felt that he was but a declining shadow, weaker than a locust.  He felt his end was near, and he was troubled in his spirit and mind.  If we feel that the end of our life is near as Christians, we need not be troubled in spirit or mind.  Verse twenty-four states, My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.  David just continues to speak of his physical decline.  Verse twenty-five adds, I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads.  David said that instead of fearing him, he had become a reproach to people.  As we grow older, we may become ignored or looked down on by people, but if we have put our faith in God, He is still with us to give us strength.  Verse twenty-six declares, Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy:  No matter how old or young, rich or poor, this can only be our request to God.  He saves us according to His mercy.  Verse twenty-seven adds, That they may know that this is thy hand; that thou, LORD, hast done it.  When God saves us, or even blesses us after salvation, we need to make sure that the people around us know that it is by the hand of God that we are saved and blessed.  Verse twenty-eight continues, Let them curse, but bless thou: when they arise, let them be ashamed; but let thy servant rejoice.  David said let the world curse him, but that he would continue to rejoice in God.  We may be cursed by the world, but as Christians we need to continue to praise God no matter what.  Verse twenty-nine says, Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.  If we are followers of Christ, one day this will be the fate of those who hate us because of our faith in Him.  Verse thirty adds, I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude.  Like David, we need to greatly praise the LORD, no matter what is happening in our life.  Verse thirty-one continues, For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul.  David said that God would stand at the right hand of the poor to save them from those who condemn them.  Once more, being poor does not bring one salvation, but God will save all who put their faith in Jesus Christ, who are spiritually poor until they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment