Saturday, August 10, 2024

2 Chronicles 6:1

2 Chronicles 6:1 says, Then said Solomon, The Lord hath said that he would dwell in the thick darkness.  Matthew Henry says basically that this means that God will dwell in the darkness of the world for the sake of His people instead of the light of Heaven.  I do know that we are told we see Him as if we are looking through a dark glass here on earth, but if we are a follower of Christ, we will one day see Him clearly in our heavenly home.  Verse two adds But I have built an house of habitation for thee, and a place for thy dwelling for ever.  Though Solomon built God a beautiful house and said that He would have a place o dwell forever, we know that God is not contained to one place and the temple has been gone for a long time.  The hearts of Christians is now God's dwelling place here, and He is with us wherever we are.  We do not have to go to a particular place nor go through anyone else to speak to God or be in His presence.  As a matter of fact, we as Christians cannot go anywhere that God isn't there, and we live in His light and not the darkness of the world.  Verse three continues, And the king turned his face, and blessed the whole congregation of Israel: and all the congregation of Israel stood.  We are told that Solomon turned his face to the people and blessed the whole congregation of Israel, but as I have said before, I believe that he asked God's blessing on them.  Verse four states, And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, who hath with his hands fulfilled that which he spake with his mouth to my father David, saying,  Solomon did then give praise to God, Who Solomon said had fulfilled what He promised to David.  We can be certain that God will always fulfill His promises to us in His own time.  Verse five adds, Since the day that I brought forth my people out of the land of Egypt I chose no city among all the tribes of Israel to build an house in, that my name might be there; neither chose I any man to be a ruler over my people Israel:  Solomon said that God had said that since He brought His people out of Egypt, He had no permanent dwelling place nor a king over His people until Saul was made king by the demands of the people.  God still has no permanent dwelling place nor any earthly person who stands in His place.  God alone is the ruler of His people, and they are scattered throughout the world.  Verse six continues, But I have chosen Jerusalem, that my name might be there; and have chosen David to be over my people Israel.  Solomon said God had chosen Jerusalem as His city and David as His king, even though the people of Israel had chosen Saul.  I believe based on how they look or that they had gone more by physical attributes instead of spiritual ones.  We certainly do not need to choose leaders for any reason other than spiritual ones.   


No comments:

Post a Comment