Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Psalms 86:1

Psalms 86:1 says, A Prayer of David.  This psalm is identified as a prayer of David, then verse one says, Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.  David asked God to bow down and hear Him.  I believe that though God is above us, He really doesn't have to lower Himself to hear us.  God is both above us and all around us.  We reach up and out to Him by faith in Jesus Christ, because as David said we are poor and needy spiritually.  Verse two adds, Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.  David asked God to preserve his soul, then declared himself to be holy and God's servant who trusted Him.  The only way we can be made holy is by accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, and once we do, then we need to serve God in all that we do.  Verse three continues, Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.  Though David asked God to be merciful to him, as Christians God has already been merciful to us by giving us salvation.  The sad thing is, God has already done the same for everyone, yet many will never know His mercy because they reject the salvation that He offers them.  Like David, we need to cry to God daily.  Verse four states, Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.  David asked God to cause his soul to rejoice and said he lifted his soul up to God.  When we lift our soul up to God through faith in Jesus Christ, God gives us a reason to rejoice every day.  Verse five adds, For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.  David then gave the reason to rejoice, and that is because of the goodness and mercy of God.  Our rejoicing should not be based on the things of this world, but on the goodness and mercy of God to us.  Verse six continues, Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.  As followers of Christ, even if we may sometimes feel that God isn't listening to us, He always hears our prayers.  Verse seven declares, In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.  David said he knew that God would answer him when he called on God in his time of trouble, and we should have that same assurance today.  If we call on God in faith today, at any time, He will hear us.  Verse eight adds, Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.  There is no false god like God, and the works of false gods can never rival God's work.  Verse nine continues, All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.  This will one day happen, but unfortunately it will be too late for too many people to benefit from the salvation that God makes available through Jesus Christ.  The idea that there may be a God, but not for me, will one day be proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment