Monday, November 8, 2021

Psalms 77:1

Psalms 77:1 says,To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of Asaph.  This is identified as another psalm of Asaph, then verse one says, I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.  Asaph said he cried out loud unto God, and God heard him. As followers of Christ, God hears us whether we cry out loud to Him or whether we cry silently to Him.  Verse two adds, In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted.  Asaph said he sought the Lord in his day of trouble, but since he was not immediately healed he would not be comforted.  Even if we do not immediately get the answer we seek from God, I believe that simply bringing our concerns to Him should bring us relief, because no matter what happens, He has given us everlasting salvation and victory.  Verse three continues, I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.  Asaph said he remembered God and was troubled and complained because his spirit was overwhelmed.  He evidently didn't see God for Who He really is, allowing his situation to be more powerful than God's love and grace.  We should always rest secure in God's grace and never allow the world to cause us to doubt or question Him.  Verse four states, Thou holdest mine eyes waking: I am so troubled that I cannot speak.  Asaph then said that He had reached the point that when he woke that could not even speak because of his troubles.  We as Christians should never allow ourselves to get into this condition.  Our faith should always be stronger than our fears.  Verse five adds, I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.  Asaph said he remembered the times of old when God had blessed him, and this left him even more desolate.  We cannot be discouraged today because things were better in the past.  God is still God whether we are prospering or suffering in life.  Verse six says, I call to remembrance my song in the night: I  commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.  Asaph said he remembered when he sang praises to God in the night.  Verse seven asks, Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more?  Asaph questioned whether God would ever be gracious to him again after some soul searching, when he questioned whether he had done something to deserve God's punishment and whether God had cast him off forever.   .  We don't need to question whether God has cast us off forever if we are followers of Christ, because He never will.  Still, if things are going badly in life we might need to do some soul searching to see if we have strayed away from God.  Verse eight adds, Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore?  Asaph continued to question God's grace instead of putting his faith in God no matter what.  We should never allow our current situation if things are going badly to cause us to question whether God has abandoned us if we are Christians.  We have everlasting security through our faith in Jesus Christ.  Verse nine continues, Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.  Asaph was still attempting to put the blame for his suffering on God.  Too many people today, who have put their faith in Jesus Christ, question God's love and mercy based on their current difficulties in life, and this should not be the case.  We should rest secure in His love and mercy.  Verse ten states, And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.  Asaph then finally said that he would remember the years of God's goodness to him.  We should never allow any current suffering to cause us to forget God's love for us in the past and the present.  Once we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, we are forever secure in our relationship with God, and we should never forget or question this fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment