Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Psalms 3

Psalms 3:1 says, A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.  After the introductory remarks,  verse one says, LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.  David was not at peace with the world.  Even his son was attempting to kill him.  We should not be surprised if we are not at peace with the people of the world today as Christians, and this may at times include our own family.  Like David though, the important thing is that we are at peace with God.  Verse two adds, Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.  David said people were saying that it did no good for him to serve God because there was no peace in doing so.  The dictionary says selah could refer to a break in the singing or mean forever.  There are many people today who say that there is no peace in serving God, but we as followers of Christ know that no matter what happens in this life that we have a forever peace with God.  Verse three states, But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.  David did not listen to the people who said that there was no peace with God, but declared God to be his shield, or protector, Who lifted up David's head in times of trouble.  God is the same for all who put their faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.  Verse four adds, I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.  In his time of great trouble and distress, David called out to God, and God heard his cry.  It was bad enough that so many people wanted to kill David, but it was made that much worse by his own son wanting to do so.  Still, David did not lose His faith in God.   No matter how bad things might become in our life today we must never lose our faith in God.  God is our shield, our defender in times of trouble.  Verse five declares, I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.  David said God's protection allowed him to sleep at night.  If we are having difficulty sleeping, maybe we simply need to put our faith completely in God and His protection of us.  Verse six adds, I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.  David said that even if ten thousand people aligned against him that he would not be afraid.  There should be nothing in the world today that causes us to live in fear if we are truly followers of Christ.  Verse seven states, Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.  David did not look to his own strength and position to save him, but looked in faith to God to do so.  We need to be the same way, looking to God for deliverance and strength no matter what the situation may be.  Verse eight adds, Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.  David recognized that salvation came from God alone and was available to all who put their faith in Him.  This always has and always will be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment