Sunday, December 19, 2021

Psalms 102:1

Psalms 102:1 says, A Prayer of the afflicted, when he is overwhelmed, and poureth out his complaint before the LORD.  This is identified as a prayer of the afflicted who are overcome by the world, then verse one says, Hear my prayer, O LORD, and let my cry come unto thee.  First there is a call for God to hear the prayer, and we can be certain that as followers of Christ God always hears our prayers, especially when we pray for others who are afflicted.  Verse two adds, Hide not thy face from me in the day when I am in trouble; incline thine ear unto me: in the day when I call answer me speedily.  When we are in trouble because of our relationship to God, we can be certain that He does not hide from us and that He answers our prayers in the best way at the best time.  Verse three continues, For my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth.  The psalmist, whom I assume to be David, asks that God answer his prayers quickly because his life is so brief.  Our lifetime on earth may be brief, but we have everlasting life spiritually, so we have all the time in the world for God to answer our prayers as Christians.  Verse four states, My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread.  When David said his heart was smitten, he didn't mean that he was in love as we often us the term, but that his heart was failing physically.  His memory also seemed to be going.  As we get older, even if we don't have other afflictions, we may find ourselves to be the same way.  Verse five adds, By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin.  David said he was now groaning and basically skin and bones.  Still, the physical life is not what he or we should be focused on, but the spiritual life is.  Verse six says, I am like a pelican of the wilderness: I am like an owl of the desert.  David said he felt as out of place as a pelican would be in the wilderness.  As followers of Christ, we really are out of place in this world, whether we are old and afflicted or young and prosperous.  Verse seven adds, I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.  David seemed to be feeling that he was totally alone in life, and at times we may almost feel the same way in our spiritual life.  Verse eight declares, Mine enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me.  We like David may feel that our enemies, and I believe this would be those who oppose God, are against us all day long, but as long as God is for us, that is all that matters.   Verse nine adds, For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping,  This is a reference to mourning, and even if life seems to be totally against us as Christians we should rejoice in the Lord instead of mourning about our situation.  Verse ten continues, Because of thine indignation and thy wrath: for thou hast lifted me up, and cast me down.  David then seems to blame God for his situation, and we should never do that.  Verse eleven states, My days are like a shadow that declineth; and I am withered like grass.  David again spoke of the shortness of his life, and no matter how long we live on this earth, our life will always be very brief from an everlasting perspective.  Verse twelve adds, But thou, O LORD, shalt endure for ever; and thy remembrance unto all generations.  As stated, God will endure forever to be remembered, or known, to all generations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment